Advancements in science and medical procedures are allowing everyday people to become mothers and fathers at the time of their choosing. Whether you are facing a difficult treatment or need time to prepare for parenthood, fertility preservation could be an effective family-planning solution. We help loving people protect their reproductive futures. If you want to be a mom or dad at some point, we can help with fertility preservation.
What is Fertility Preservation?
Fertility preservation allows couples facing debilitating health conditions and other issues to protect their reproductive tissues safely. The process takes embryos, eggs, sperm, and other items and stores them for future use. The process has become increasingly prevalent among both sexes, who have reached puberty. These rank among the most prevalent options.
- Embryo Cryopreservation: This highly successful option involves removing eggs from ovaries and fertilizing them at a Melbourne IVF (in vitro fertilization) lab before freezing them.
- Oocyte Cryopreservation: The process involves removing, freezing, and storing unfertilized eggs for future use.
These and other procedures typically come into play when someone knowingly faces a potential reproductive health setback. When diseases are likely to compromise someone’s ability to ovate, produce eggs, or maintain healthy sperm, tissues can be cryogenically frozen and stored until you are ready to bring a child into the world.
What are the Top Reasons for Fertility Preservation?
One of the most common reasons women consider fertility preservation involves cancer. Studies indicate that approximately half of women diagnosed with cancer would like to have a child at some point following treatment. Given that certain types of chemotherapy may lead to infertility, Swedish researchers found that 97 of 425 women who utilized fertility preservation gave birth to one or more children after cancer treatment. Other reasons to opt for fertility preservation include the following.
- Exposure to toxic chemicals at work or during military service.
- Suffering from conditions such as endometriosis.
- Gynecologist discovers uterine fibroids.
- Need treatment for an autoimmune disease.
- Carry a genetic disease that impacts future fertility.
- People who wish to delay having a child.
In terms of men freezing sperm, the leading reason to undergo fertility preservation also involves concerns about cancer treatment, according to John Hopkins Medicine. Single men and couples not quite ready to add a child later have the sperm thawed at one of the IVF clinics Melbourne community members trust.
What are the Risks of Fertility Preservation?
Fertility preservation is considered relatively non-invasive. But like any medical procedure, patients must assume some level of risk is present. These are among the potential complications.
- Some egg collection procedures result in bleeding.
- Infection is generally a possibility when undergoing a medical procedure.
- IVF can increase the chances of multiple births and premature delivery.
- Stimulated ovaries may cause ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome.
- Anesthesia can result in medical reactions and post-operative confusion.
These and other risks can be minimized by enlisting the support of an experienced Melbourne fertility center. At Viera Fertility Center, we take diligent care of our valued community members to help grow loving families.
How Can Fertility Preservation Help Your Family?
Sperm and egg protection in the face of disease and adversity are the more common reasons people opt for fertility preservation. This gives families and singles a chance at having a child in spite of the damage an ailment or treatment might have on their reproductive capability. That means people in committed relationships and singles enjoy an opportunity to plan a family rather than lose the opportunity.
And that’s often a similar reason for singles and couples who are not quite ready for a baby. Community members may want to achieve certain professional or personal goals before becoming a mom or dad. Fertility preservation also helps people get into a good place before becoming moms or dads. Essentially, the procedure supports thoughtful family planning.
Contact Viera Fertility Center in Melbourne
As the Melbourne community members trust us, we work diligently with couples and singles to start their families. If you need to protect your reproductive options, contact us today and schedule a consultation.